Sticky One Pot Roast Chicken Recipe
A golden, sticky free range chook surrounded by lashings of streaky bacon, baby potatoes, zesty lemons and woody herbs. This dish is super simple but works as an incredibly impressive rustic dinner party dish or as a weekend family feast. And even better, there are next to no dishes!
- 1 whole free range chicken
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Clover Honey
- 1 tbsp Whole Grain Mustard
- 150g Streaky Bacon
- 8 Shallots
- 750g Perla Potatoes
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup White wine
- 3 Lemons - 1 zested, all halved
- A handful Sage
- A handful Rosemary
- 2 whole garlic bulbs - halved with skin left on
- Salt & Pepper
- Salad Greens
- In a small bowl mix together the whole grain mustard, zest of 1 lemon, honey and a good glug of olive oil to make honey mustard graze.
- Smear the honey mustard glaze all over the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based ovenproof frying pan/casserole dish over medium heat.
- Fry the bacon until it is slightly brown. Add the whole shallots, baby potatoes, bay leaves and fry off until everything is coated in the bacon fat.
- Deglaze with white wine. Place the chicken in the middle of the casserole dish making sure shallots and potatoes aren’t under the chicken so they can get golden and crispy while roasting. Dot in herbs, lemon and garlic.
- Cover with the lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1 hour.
- Take the lid off and cook uncovered for a further 30 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are golden.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve with salad greens.