Sticky Asian Roast Chicken Recipe
Try this roast chicken with a delicious Asian twist! The chicken is poached in soy sauce and spices then roasted with a sticky, sweet and savoury honey, oyster sauce glaze. Serve with fragrant coriander rice and steamed greens.
- 1 free range whole chicken
To poach the chicken
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 ½ L water
For the glaze
- ½ cup Oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp Manuka Honey
- 1 pack Pak Choy
- 500g cooked white long grain rice
- A handful coriander, roughly chopped
We love to serve this gorgeous sweet & savoury chicken with a refreshingly crisp Sauvignon Blanc.
We used a shallow casserole dish to roast the chicken.
- In a large pot (large enough to poach the whole chicken), mix soy sauce and water. Add garlic, ginger and star anise then bring to boil. Add the chicken, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stand chicken in liquid for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and put on a roasting tray.
- Preheat oven to 160 ⁰C. Mix honey and oyster sauce in a small bowl to make the glaze.
- Brush the chicken with the glazing evenly. Put in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes until golden and cooked through. Brush with more glaze every 10-15 minutes during the cooking.
- While the chicken is in the oven, heat the rice according to the packet instructions and steam the pak choy.
- Garnish chicken with coriander and serve hot with rice and steamed pak choy.