BBQ Japanese Meat Skewers
Our BBQ Japanese Meat Skewers are inspired by Japanese yakitori (yakitori literally means grilled chicken). We just love the strong marinade flavours. Cook these on the barbie before the big game to seriously impress your guests!
- 300g lamb rump, in thin strips
- 300g beef rib eye
- 1 pack chicken thighs, in thin strips
- 10 raw whole black tiger prawns, shell removed
- Sesame Oil, for frying
- ¾ cup Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Airborne Rewarewa Honey, melted
- ¼ cup sake
- 2 tsp ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Salt & pepper
- A handful of chives, roughly chopped
- A sprinkle sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Large resealable bags
- Metal skewers
- To Marinade: To make the marinade mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve half the marinade for grilling, then spoon the other half into 3 large resealable bags.
- Pop prawns, chicken and lamb each into the bag, move around in the marinade, then seal and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- To BBQ: Preheat BBQ to 200C.
- Thread the prawns, chicken and lamb onto skewers..
- Grill on the BBQ for 5-10 minutes, basting with the remaining marinade, and turning halfway. The prawns may cook quicker. When cooked to your liking, remove from grill , garnish with garlic chives, toasted sesame seeds and spring onions. Serve with a cold glass of Montana New Zealand Collection Big & Buttery Chardonnay.