The Ultimate Lasagne (gluten-free)
We’ve created the ultimate lasagne. The trick is using good quality meats, herbs and a splash of red wine, then cooking it slowly to bring out the flavours. (Pour yourself a glass while you make it.)
For the Meat Sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g beef mince
- 300g ground pork
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 340g jar of tomato & basil pasta sauce
- ½ cup shiraz
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1 tsp Airborne Clover Multifloral Honey
- 2 tbsp rosemary and thyme, finely chopped
For the Bechamel:
- 150g butter
- 4 ½ cups milk
- 1 cups gluten free Flour
- 1 ½ cup parmesan, grated
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 12 sheets gluten free lasagne
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Add carrot & leek and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add pork and beef mince and cook for 5 minutes, stirring and breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add tomato paste, pasta sauce, honey, red wine, broth, fresh rosemary and thyme, and simmer on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile make the bechamel sauce. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour then cook while stirring for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly add the milk, whisking until smooth. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste, add a pinch of nutmeg and half of the grated cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. In a large ovenproof lasagne dish place 1 layer of lasagne sheets. Pour over and spread 1 ½ cups of meat sauce. Top with 1 cup of bechamel and a layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat layers until the dish is full, finishing with bechamel sauce. Sprinkle top with remaining grated cheese and bake for 45 minutes, until cooked and golden. Serve hot.