Wine Poached Apple & Hazelnut Trifle Recipe
Spiced white wine poached apples make for the perfect twist on the classic trifle. Sponge cake layered with poached apples and fluffy hazelnut ricotta cream is a winner at the Christmas dinner table.
For the wine poached apples
- 1kg apples, cut into eighths and cored
- 1 lemon - sliced
- 1 bottle white wine
- ¾ cup golden sugar
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 knobs of butter
- 1 store bought trifle sponge
For the hazelnut cream
- 1 tub (250g) Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cream
- 3 tbsp Multifloral Honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Extra toasted hazelnuts to garnish
- In a heavy bottomed pot, place apples, cinnamon sticks, star anise, sugar, honey and lemon. Pour wine and cover. Cook gently for 20-30 minutes until apples are soft. Strain the apples. Reserve the poaching liquid.
- Caramelise a few apple pieces for the topping - fry in a little butter and honey until golden and caramelised. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat ricotta, cream, honey and vanilla with an electric mixer until thick. Stir in ½ the hazelnuts. Cover and chill until ready to assemble trifle.
- In a trifle bowl, or individual glasses, line a single layer of sponge, drizzle with poaching liquid. Then add a single layer of poached apples. Spoon over hazelnut cream. Repeat to your desired layers.
- Decorate with the caramelised apples and some extra toasted hazelnuts, cinnamon sticks and star anise.
- Refrigerate until serving.